West Park Healthcare Centre helps patients get their lives back by providing inpatient, outpatient and outreach services in specialized rehabilitative and complex care after a life-altering illness or injury such as lung disease, amputation, stroke, and traumatic musculoskeletal injuries. By 2021, West Park’s 27-acre site will be transformed into an integrated campus of care, including a new hospital building and additional community supports such as assisted living for persons with disabilities and seniors. This transformation enables the Centre to evolve its rehabilitative programs and strengthen links to community-based services to meet the future healthcare needs of our local community and the province.
We currently have the following opportunity available:
Chief Nursing Executive and Director Interprofessional Practice
and Clinical Education
The Chief Nursing Executive (CNE) and Director Interprofessional Practice and Clinical Education functions as a key member of the Centre’s Senior Leadership team with primary accountability for the Centre’s nursing practice strategy and advancement of inter-professional practice. In recognition of the integral and synergistic nature of inter-professional practice and clinical programs in delivering on the Centre’s brand promise, the position reports to the VP, Programs with a matrix reporting relationship to the CEO on the CNE functions of the role.
- Graduate degree in Nursing (thesis stream)
- PHD in Nursing Preferred
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Member RNAO
- Minimum 5 years of clinical leadership experience
- Recent related experience in a rehabilitation/complex continuing care environment
- Academic appointment preferred
- Ability to work in a manner that exemplifies the core values of West Park: Excellence, Respect, Trust, Collaboration and Accountability
- As the CNE, is an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors:
- Draws to the Board’s attention relevant emerging local, regional, provincial and national issues.
- Contributes to decision-making that is consistent with the values, vision, mission, and standards of practice and quality outcomes.
- Ensures that the Centre’s strategy addresses and respects nursing service delivery and nursing sensitive outcomes.
- Participates on the Quality Committee as an active voting member.
- In concert with the Director of Programs co-leads the development and implementation of care delivery models that are responsive to patient needs and enable full scope of practice across disciplines as appropriate.
- Participates as an active member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Develops, implements and evaluates a strategy for the advancement of nursing practice.
- Is a strong advocate for patient/family centered care, professional practice and ethics.
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs monitors quality of clinical care as well as identifies and acts on clinical practice improvement priorities.
- Leads in the design, implementation and evaluation of structures and processes to advance interprofessional collaborative practice, research, and education.
- Coordinates the implementation of discipline specific regulatory standards into organizational practices.
- Sets evidence informed clinical practice standards and maintains and helps implement clinical policies and procedures to enable best patient outcomes supportive of the Centre’s strategic directions.
- Leads in the standardization of clinical documentation and helps advance the electronic patient record.
- Provides leadership for the development and implementation of a clinical corporate learning strategy with objectives based on clinical needs as identified by operations, clinical staff, and best practice.
- Champions evidence-informed practice and leads the Centre’s commitments, including NQuIRE participant, under its RNAO-BPSO designation.
- Fosters an environment that encourages continuous learning and scholarly inquiry.
- Provide oversight for affiliation agreements with colleges and universities and co-ordination of student placements.
- Builds networks with academic institutions to achieve the academic plan.
- Reviews incidents involving the professional practice of regulated and unregulated clinical staff and provides support and intervention as necessary.
- Participates in the hiring of Clinical Practice Leaders and provides guidance for activities related to the professional advancement of clinical disciplines.
- Provides senior leadership for the medical assistance in dying process (MAID) at the Centre
- Acts as Hospital Liaison for Ethics Consultant.
- Provides leadership for a number of committees that support the above functions including the Nursing and Health Professions Advisory Committee, Senior Friendly Hospital Committee and the Ethics Committee.
- Is an active member of the ONA Hospital Association Committee, ONA Scheduling Committee, SEIU Labour Management Committee, SEIU and ONA Local Bargaining Committees and Co-Chairs the ONA Professional Development Committee.
- Reviews recommendations of the Independent Assessment Committee and develops implementation plans jointly with relevant Clinical Leaders, the ONA Bargaining Unit President and the Hospital Association Committee.
West Park Healthcare Centre is committed to providing accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation for a disability during any phase of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter. For further assistance please contact the Human Resources Department at (416) 243-3600 extension 4633.
If you’re committed to making a difference, have a passion for helping others, and are looking for a place to contribute and grow, then we would like to talk to you. As a West Park Healthcare Centre team member, you’ll discover the rewards of a caring community of staff, physicians, volunteers, patients and their families – a community that has inspired people to choose West Park for more than 100 years.
Please submit a cover letter and resume, preferably via online application, to
https://www.westpark.org/en/Careers or by fax to: 416-243-3422
We thank all applicants in advance and will contact only those selected for interviews
To learn more about West Park’s services, our organization and our role in the community, please visit us at: www.westpark.org