Director, Mental Health and Addictions
William Osler Health System (“Osler”) is one of the largest community hospitals in Ontario, serving 1.3 million residents of Brampton, Etobicoke, and surrounding communities within the Central West Local Health Integration Network catchment area. Employing 5,500 staff and 1,000 volunteers, with an annual operating budget of approximately $725 million, Osler is a combined 882-bed multi-site community hospital offering a range of programs and health services. Osler is proud to have been named one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for the past 5 years.
Osler has three hospital sites:
Brampton Civic Hospital (BCH) is a full-service community hospital. Opened in 2007, the hospital has one of the largest labour and delivery programs in the province, and one of the busiest emergency departments in Canada.
Etobicoke General Hospital (EGH) is a community hospital that provides all aspects of care including emergency services, surgery, and specialty clinics. This site is currently undergoing major redevelopment and expansion. Etobicoke General is on track to open its new, state-of-the art wing in 2018.
Peel Memorial Centre (PMC) for Integrated Health & Wellness offers specialized outpatient care, same-day surgery, and an Urgent Care Centre. This site also focuses on health and wellness and on helping people manage chronic conditions like asthma, diabetes, mental illness and addiction.
Further information regarding Osler is available at: http://www.williamoslerhs.ca/.
In this key leadership role, the Director, Mental Health and Addictions (Director) will be accountable for the overall operations and service delivery of the Mental Health and Addictions program, a multi-site, multi-faceted program across the continuum of Mental Health and Addictions services. The Director’s portfolio includes mental health and addictions services for adults, which includes Emergency/Crisis, Inpatient/Outpatient and Day Treatment Services, Alcohol, Drugs and Gaming Addictions, the Withdrawal Management Centre and Addiction Counselling Services. Additionally, this portfolio also includes mental health services for children and adolescents which includes Inpatient Units, Outpatient, Day Hospital and an Eating Disorders Clinic. Working in close partnership with the Associate Vice President, Clinical Practice and the Medical Director, the Director oversees approximately 275 professionals across all 3 Osler sites, with a total annual budget of approximately $31M. In this strategic and operational role, the Director will ensure an ongoing commitment to clinical excellence and patient-centred care by actively promoting and continuing to advance best practices and high quality services, both within and outside of the hospital.
Key leadership initiatives for the new Director will be to:
- Develop the business strategy and key metrics for this Program as it relates to partnerships, service planning and clinical excellence.
- Play a leadership role in developing strategies related to service integration, access to care and patient flow, locally and regionally.
- Advance the profile of Mental Health and Addictions services by strengthening collaboration with both internal programs and external community agencies/partners.
- Create the framework for program evaluation, including key metrics as it relates to access, patient flow, service planning and clinical excellence.
- Provide leadership to guide ongoing continuous performance improvement and program efficiencies.
- Develop and empower a cohesive and collaborative team that is service-driven and focused on establishing an exceptional patient care experience.
- Develop strategic partnerships with community-based providers to strengthen the regional service continuum.
The successful candidate will have 5-7 years of progressive professional experience in a complex acute care or tertiary mental health care environment, excelling in healthcare by building relationships, promoting collaboration, managing change and seeking out innovative alternatives. A champion of transformation, the successful candidate will have the ability to continuously raise the level of care while advancing outcomes in a high-volume, fast-paced, multi-site environment. In addition to a Master’s Degree, the candidate will ideally bring leadership experience with a successful track record in mental health and addictions services.
To confidentially explore this opportunity, please email your resume, quoting the appropriate position title, to Judy Mandelman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.