Career opportunities are presented in the language received.
Organization: Humber River Health (formerly Humber River Hospital)
Position Title: Director, Employee & Labour Relations
Reports To: Vice President, Human Resources
Location: Humber River Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
There’s never been a better time to join Humber River Health. Since opening in 2015 as North America’s first fully digital hospital, Humber River remains unwavering in the belief that we can change the hospital where we work, the community where we live, and the world of healthcare beyond our borders. Now, emerging from the challenges of the pandemic with fresh insight and direction, Humber River Health is proud to introduce a new vision, Lighting New Ways in Healthcare. This vision speaks to Humber River Health’s role as a leader in healthcare innovation, driving a future in patient care that is equitable, accessible, empowering, and informed by research. Humber River Health is on an exciting transformational journey of redefining patient care for the 850,000 residents served, with a team who encompass values of Compassion, Professionalism and Respect. Looking ahead to the next three years, Humber River Hospital has outlined four strategic directions in the 2023-2026 Strategic Plan: 1. Embrace equity, diversity and inclusion; 2. Advance the empowerment of our people and patients; 3. Deliver comprehensive, quality care closer to home; and 4. Foster innovation, research and academics. Humber River Health is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen’s University and committed to becoming a community academic hospital. Clinical Excellence, Optimizing Care through Technology and Community Connection frame our Research Strategy.
Reporting to the VP, Human Resources, the Director, Employee & Labour Relations brings extensive leadership experience in strategy, operations, and labour relations within a hospital environment. An expert communicator, the Director, Employee & Labour Relations nurtures positive relationships and collaborates with the leadership teams and staff internally and externally, with a staff complement of over 5,000 people. This is an excellent opportunity for a confident leader with a strong vision of best practices in Employee & Labour Relations to shape the direction of this practice, with the support of an exceptional team, within North America’s first fully digital acute care hospital. If you are motivated by the potential to set a new standard, implement better processes, and join a dynamic team working towards a shared vision for better patient care, we’d like to hear from you
Leads and oversees Employee & Labour Relations for the organization, together with a team of eight persons (Human Resources Business Partners, Coordinators, and Labour Relations Specialists), through strong effective relationships with union leaders and representatives:
- Participates in the development of people strategy and its implementation
- Acts as subject matter expert to the leadership team, and provides advice and consultation on employee and labour relations issues
- Ensures the implementation of hospital strategy and/or corporate initiatives are compliant with legislation and progressive labour relations principles
- Ensures legislative, internal policy and collective agreement compliance
- Leads collective bargaining for all unions (six)
- Oversees grievance and arbitration management for the hospital
- Provides oversight of internal investigations and the investigation process
- Oversees decisions on legal representation and human resource’s legal budget
- Ensures labour relations procedures, guidelines, policies, and procedures are in place
- Supports interprofessional practice development, team, and individual development
EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES
- Degree or diploma in a related field required
- Graduate degree or LLB preferred
- Minimum 5 years labour relations within a healthcare setting
- Minimum 5 years labour relations progressive leadership with multiple unions in a hospital
- Strong understanding of hospital operations
- Experience leading local collective bargaining, negotiation, and arbitration
- Experience with collective agreement interpretation, grievance management and dispute resolution
- Evidence of expanding learning, development, and recognition opportunities
- Expert communication, coaching, and team building skills
- Expert business and financial acumen, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills
- Modeling behaviour that is aligned with the values of Humber River Health – Compassion, Professionalism, Respect
- Act in accordance with the commitment to safe and compassionate patient care and safe and healthy work environments
Humber River Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
In order to be eligible for employment at Humber River Hospital, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the hired employee’s first date of employment Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are interested in exploring this exciting and unique opportunity, please contact:
Partner: Jane van Alphen
Phone number: 416-648-0669
Consultant: Olivia Knight
Phone number: 416- 416-928-4535
ABOUT LHH KNIGHTSBRIDGE – www.lhhknightsbridge.com
LHH helps organizations simplify the complexity associated with transforming their leadership and workforce so they can accelerate results, with less risk. As global leaders in Talent and Leadership Development, Career Solutions and Executive, Interim and Mid-Level Search, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs.