Career opportunities are presented in the language received.
Organization: Unity Health Toronto
Position Title: Executive Vice President, Digital Transformation and Chief Information Officer
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Unity Health Toronto is one of Canada’s largest Catholic healthcare networks serving people across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary, secondary community, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education. Unity Health is comprised of St. Joseph’s Health Centre, St. Michael’s Hospital and Providence Healthcare, and is routinely ranked as a top Canadian hospital network and a national leader in health research. Working with Unity Health means being at the forefront of healthcare in Canada’s largest city alongside 14,000 leading experts in clinical care, research, education, and technology, providing compassionate physical, emotional, and spiritual care to all in need, and advancing excellence in healthcare through world-class education, research and innovation. Unity Health continues to build on its strengths, bolstering a distinct ecosystem of clinical excellence, an academic mission, groundbreaking research, and innovation, and partnering to lead system transformation.
In its Strategic Plan, Unity Health articulates a bold vision to revolutionize care through digital transformation with the following commitments:
- Plan and implement a network-wide electronic patient record that supports multiple care environments ranging from home to hospital and community.
- Connect care to enable patients and their families to engage with Unity Health in multiple ways, including enhanced traditional and virtual care approaches.
- Develop an operations centre to monitor patient status, results, flow, and capacity – optimizing investments in analytics to improve outcomes, safety, and access for patients.
- Improve analytical capacity to optimize operational decision making and clinical processes, while reducing the digital burden on providers through the co-creation of modern intuitive tools.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Executive Vice President, Digital Transformation and Chief Information Officer (EVP DT/CIO) is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and is accountable for strategic and operational leadership to support the future digital vision of Unity Health. The EVP DT/CIO partners with the senior team to develop the digital roadmap, and regional and provincial leaders to integrate care delivery digital systems. Key objectives include:
- Articulate a digital transformation vision and strategy that will contribute to improved delivery of health services within Ontario, and through partnership to geographies across the globe.
- Own the digital roadmap and ensure that digital initiatives support Unity Health’s strategic priorities and transformation.
- Partner with the leadership team on evolving a culture shift to support new models of care and service, including strategy, policy, and measures of success of digital initiatives.
- Lead with broad insights and thorough knowledge related to digital transformation in healthcare thereby influencing people and culture, strategy, roadmaps, and performance.
- Inspire an unrelenting focus on client experience through the digital transformation journey and seek opportunities to improve the interface between clients, clinical practice, and technology.
- Champion integration of existing, new, and emerging systems, the incoming electronic patient record, as well as analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and robotics.
- Leverage digital innovation as a catalyst for growth and commercialization and leverage digital advancements in other industries to drive innovation in healthcare.
- Aligned to Unity Health’s values and committed to innovation and transformation, lead and oversee several teams including more than 225 people.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an inspiring visionary who brings collaborative leadership, integrative thinking, and digital expertise to lead Unity Health’s transformation and harness the power of information and advanced solutions to impact quality, the care experience and operational excellence.
- Established credibility as a visionary leader who has shaped the strategic direction and success of digital transformations in organizations of scale.
- Expertise in transformation and influencing cultures towards digital adoption using innovative approaches and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in a senior role with accountability for information technology, digital strategies and working with various systems, platforms, applications, and vendors.
- Knowledge of personal data protection, information security, cybersecurity, and enterprise risk.
- Advanced critical and strategic thinking, analytical, business, decision-making, planning, problem solving, conflict management, and negotiation skills.
- Exceptional team leadership: coaches, delegates, empowers, inspires, and motivates people at all levels and builds team capacity and succession plans.
- Respected team player who cultivates productive collaborations across the healthcare system and consistently seeks creative and dynamic solutions.
- Committed to embedding anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion principles in all aspects of operations, fostering a diverse and inclusive culture and environment.
- Progressive leadership in a hospital or other healthcare setting managing complex portfolios.
- Master of Business Administration, Master Health Sciences or Master Information Systems or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Unity Health Toronto serves patients, residents, and clients across the full spectrum of care while investing in world-class research and education. Our commitment to anti-racism, equity and social accountability is essential to our ability to provide exceptional care experiences and to drive research and academic excellence, while our deeply held values of human dignity, compassion, excellence, community, and inclusivity drive us to continuously nurture an inclusive environment.
We are committed to creating a workplace culture where everyone feels valued, respected, and welcome to be themselves, and where they are empowered to share different perspectives to inspire creativity and innovation. Unity Health encourages applicants to apply who are Indigenous, Black, or Racialized, persons with disabilities, people who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
We are committed to accessibility in the candidate application and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements of the vacant position. Applicants are asked to please make their accommodation requirements known when contacted.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario human rights code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Should you have any questions regarding this exciting and challenging opportunity, or wish to forward a cover letter and resume for consideration, please contact a member of the LHH Knightsbridge team:
Chris Sawyer, Partner
Tim Hewat, Partner
Jane van Alphen, Partner
ABOUT LHH KNIGHTSBRIDGE – www.lhhknightsbridge.com
LHH helps organizations simplify the complexity associated with transforming their leadership and workforce so they can accelerate results, with less risk. As global leaders in Talent and Leadership Development, Career Solutions and Executive, Interim and Mid-Level Search, we assist organizations in finding new talent, and helping their employees navigate change, become better leaders, develop better careers, and transition into new jobs.