Events are presented in the language received.
Professionals involved in healthcare delivery must navigate an increasingly complex and daunting legal terrain. The Legal Aspects of Canadian Healthcare Delivery offers a five-day, customized learning experience that centres on the intersection of law and the Canadian healthcare system. This in-person intensive program explores fundamental legal rules highly relevant to the daily lives of healthcare leaders and providers. You will emerge from this program better equipped to operate effectively and comfortably within a rapidly evolving legal environment and to distinguish yourself as a legally-informed leader in your organization. The course is offered by Dalhousie’s School of Health Administration, and was developed in collaboration with the Schulich School of Law and the Dalhousie Health Law Institute.
By the end of the course, you will have:
- Enhanced your ability to lead in a highly regulated environment
- Broadened your understanding of the general framework for Canada’s legal system
- Expanded your knowledge of fundamental and emerging legal issues in healthcare delivery
- Gained strategies for effectively dealing with potential legal problems
- Obtained the knowledge and skills required to become a more informed consumer of legal information, including legal counsel opinions
- Developed the aptitudes to meaningfully participate in law reform initiatives that will impact your organization.
Topics covered include:
- An introduction to the Canadian Legal System
- Health System & Institutional Governance
- Workforce Management: Employment Law, Labour Law, Human Rights Law, Occupational Health and Safety Law
- Regulation of Health Professionals
- Tort Liability and the Litigation Process
- Privacy and Confidentiality of Health Information
- Successful completion of this course will require students to pass an online multiple-choice exam within 4 weeks of the last day of the in-person program. Upon successful completion of the course and exam students will receive a Certificate in Legal Aspects of Canadian Healthcare Delivery.