Career opportunities are presented in the language received.
Manager, Surgical Services and MDRD
Choose Collingwood General & Marine Hospital:
Explore a role with Collingwood General & Marine Hospital (CGMH) and live your ideal lifestyle. Located on the shores of Georgian Bay, you have the opportunity to enjoy the 4-season recreational community.
Collingwood General and Marine Hospital (CGMH) is an 84 bed hospital located in Collingwood, Ontario (approximately 90 minutes north of Toronto) that serves more than 74,000 permanent residents and 3.5 Million annual visitors to the communities of Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, Clearview and the Blue Mountains. CGMH is an acute care hospital providing emergency care, diagnostic services including lab, imaging and cardio respiratory therapy, as well as two inpatient units (medicine and surgery). In addition, CGMH also provides care in specialty areas including obstetrics, orthopaedics, intensive care and surgery. The Hospital also provides out patient care including dialysis and a wide range of clinics including mental health and rehabilitation services. CGMH continues to provide care close to home for our community and plays a key role as an integrated orthopaedic centre for our region. For more information please visit our website at www.cgmh.on.ca and our Foundation website at www.cgmhf.com.
At Collingwood General & Marine Hospital, we are anchored by our vision, mission and values and guided by our strategic directions. If you exhibit the core values of CGMH; Inclusive, Caring, Accountable, Respect, Excellence, Adaptable, Teamwork, we want you to join us in providing exceptional services to our patient and their families.
Current Immunization Record required, including two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, short of an approved exemption on a ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This position includes a comprehensive and competitive benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short and long term disability income protection plans, Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP), Employee & Family Assistance Program and access to CGMH Perkopolis discounts.
Reporting to the Director, Patient Services, the Manager, Surgical Services and MDRD is accountable for the effective and efficient operation of the patient care unit(s), working in collaboration with the Chief of the department.
The Manager is responsible for providing leadership and direction for the operations, management, utilization, risk management and quality improvement within the patient care unit(s).
The Manager is accountable for efficient, effective utilization of approved physical, financial, and human resources; for guiding and coordinating activities of the area in accordance with professional standards and supporting the goals and strategic direction of the Hospital.
- Must be a Registered Health Professional in good standing
Health Discipline Degree or Leadership Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 5-10 years of applicable clinical experience in an acute care setting
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a leadership role
3 to 5 years of Operating Room experience an asset;
- Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC) membership an asset;
- Must strive to continuously provide a safe and supportive environment for patients, staff, physicians, and volunteers
- Must adhere to the duties of workers, as stipulated in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Must have an ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) in the English language in order to provide excellent communication with team members, patients and families.
- Ability to communicate in additional language(s) is considered an asset.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be dedicated to professional growth & development
- Must be able to perform all bona fide and essential duties of the position, which may include physical demands such as moving/transferring patients, pushing, pulling, bending, etc.
- Must have demonstrated excellent attendance/performance record
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively communicate with other members of the health care team
- Completion of applicable leadership education is considered an asset
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensures professional practice standards are current with appropriate regulation, legislation which includes the following:
- The development and maintenance of the department policies and procedures.
- Monitors and assesses delivery of nursing and allied health care in specific areas of accountability through quality improvement activities which includes the implementation and evaluation of actions taken.
- Promotes accountability in the department for all patients.
- Promotes accountability among staff for departmental efficiency.
- Supports the philosophy, goals, objectives and standards of the
- Patient Services Portfolio Department and the Hospital.
- Provides an environment conducive to team building and good communication.
- Promotes departmental accountability for patient safety by facilitating good communication between all patient care areas; a clear report between nurses when patients are handed off from one to another; adherence to medication administration policies.
- Works collaboratively with the Staffing Office to ensure adequate staffing in department.
- Promotes positive working relationships among the healthcare professionals in the area.
- Acts as a resource for problem solving for Charge Nurses, employees and physicians.
- Maintains open lines of communication at all levels of the organization.
- Works collaboratively with all the Patient Services Managers and Admitting to manage patient flow and ensure departmental efficiency.
- Promotes a strong occupational safety focus within the department and incorporates it into regular communication with staff.
- Advises employees of the existence of any potential or actual danger to health or safety of which the manager is aware.
- Provides employees with written instructions as to the measures and procedures to be taken for protection of the worker; and take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of a worker as prescribed under OH&S or Infection Prevention and Control.
- Ensures adequate supply of personal protective equipment is maintained in department.
- Contacts/consults with/informs Director, Patient Services of actual or potential concerns related to patient care, employee, and other management issues.
- Provides regular concurrent feedback to employees on performance and annual formal performance evaluations.
- Works closely with support staff in the department to establish and maintain effective communication between departments.
- Promotes and encourages a learning environment for support staff.
- Establishes Best Practices for cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizing for the safe reprocessing of medical equipment/devices, as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with the Hospital’s patient safety, employee safety policies and appropriate legislation.
- Prepares and manages operational and capital budgets for designated areas based on goals and needs of the individual departments utilizing statistics and information systems.
- Participates as a member of the management team on interdepartmental teams and nursing/interprofessional committees.
- Assesses employee development needs and facilitates appropriate educational opportunities for employee and self.
- Develops and maintains the master rotation for employees.
- Participates in on-call with Leadership team, as required.
- Initiates investigation of complaints and works with Director, Patient Services to achieve resolution.
- Investigate causes, and submit action plans and corrective strategies related targets and data as required by MOH.
- Investigate patient complaints to find a fair resolution and to promote positive change.
- Implements actions items, and contingency strategies for medical device recalls.
- Prepares briefing notes for submission of contingency funds for essential equipment as need arises.
- Participate in Regional, Provincial initiatives related to departmental programs.
Employee Group: Non-Union
Employment Type: Permanent Full-time
Start Date: In line with next Hospital Orientation intake
Hours of Work: Please be reminded that as a Hospital, in order to provide the necessary patient care, our operations run 24/7. Therefore, depending on the program for which you are applying, it may be an expectation that you are available to work weekdays and weekends, as well as all shifts – days, evenings, and nights.
Wage: $110,933.93 – 131,754.71 annually
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in joining our inspiring team, please apply online before 11:59pm EST on the posting close date by submitting an updated copy of your resume and cover letter in PDF or Word format.
Due to the volume of applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please be advised that as part of the mandatory screening process CGMH requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation, plus a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Collingwood General and Marine Hospital is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. We encourage all qualified individuals who may contribute to a diverse and inclusive workplace to apply. If contacted regarding a competition, please advise Human Resources of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.